It has been a tough beginning and you are finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel? After innumerable lost balls, an endless number of strokes, and an immeasurable amount of frustration and sweat- you are finally getting better at golf. But, there’s a catch, after reaching the mid handicap- you cannot seem to get better. How do you reach the level of professional golfers?
Apparently, it’s not just the practice and swings that matter how the ball reacts to your efforts does too. Since you have leveled up your game, you should level up your golf balls as well. Yes, golf balls can be different in nature, and with increasing skill levels- you need to focus more on it. So, let us now focus on finding the best golf ball for mid handicap.
Best golf Ball for Mid Handicap: The reviews
1. Titleist Tour Soft Golf Balls.
One of the best choices for mid-handicap golfers is this Titleist Tour soft golf balls. In fact, this golf ball gives you quite a feeling when you hit it right. The sweet spot is not that big but your attempt to hit it right
Apparently, this golf ball has a design just the way mid-handicap golfers would prefer. It has a large core that is soft and it has a thin outer layer. As a result, this ball is quite easy to control around the greens and also on the green. It has an ultra-thin 4CE grafted cover that balances the larger softcore. However, the thin layer gets scratched easily and they may make you doubt its quality. After all, these golf balls are not at all cheap- they are quite expensive.
The dimples on the cover give this ball quite a nice trajectory. You will find that this ball goes quite straight, therefore, the ball has a good enough spin for a mid-handicap golfer.
It does cover a good distance but it’s nothing mentionable as there are other golf balls that help you get a better distance. You will find it in the color yellow which will do better in case of visibility.
- A large core with a thin cover- just right for mid-handicappers.
- The dimples make it go straight and provides you with good control over the ball.
- Quite accurate around the green and on it.
- Easy to spot.
- The spin is just right.
- It has a soft core that offers low drag in the air- so it covers a good distance.
- A bit expensive.
- The thin cover can get scratched easily.
- It May does not cover a great distance.
2. Snell MTB Black Golf Balls.
Do you want to increase your distance? A golf ball that gives you a better distance will motivate you to try harder and get more distance! If you are looking for such a ball then you may have just found it- The Snell MTB Black golf balls help you gain more distance with their overall design.
Apparently, it increases the distance with its lower compression core. You know, a lower compression core helps to gain distance even in the colder weather as the weight is low and the drag is low too.
Apart from that, this golf ball also has a lower spin. As a result, you don’t have to worry a whole lot about the ball going completely astray with a small wrong move. It also has dimples all over it that gives you good control over the ball in short games.
Now, the slight trouble you may have with this ball is that- it is soft but it is not very soft. Therefore, it won’t stay just where it lands, it will move a bit on the ground and green. So, you may need some practice to get it accurate.
Other than that, it performs really well in the air, giving you quite a good distance.
- It helps you gain distance with its build.
- The urethane cover is one of the best covers for golf balls.
- It has quite a good trajectory and performance in the air- great for drive shots.
- The dimples on it provide you with good control around and on the green.
- Good value for the money.
- It is not that soft on the green- so it requires some practice to get used to the way the ball moves on the green.
3. Callaway Supersoft Golf Balls.
There is a certain kind of click you get when you hit the softer balls right. Once you experience the feeling that comes with this click- you cannot back away from golf- you live for that click. The Callaway Supersoft golf ball gives you such a click and makes you feel good about your swing.
But, it does not go that easy on you either. The ball has an improved cored design where the core is definitely softer than other golf balls. Furthermore, this core also has a low spin to make the ball go straighter and faster. This ball will help you cover a good distance.
However, if your swing speed is very fast, then you may have a bit of trouble with this ball. In fact, you may feel that it’s too soft for you.
The tri-ionomer cover also makes it softer on the outer layer as well. So, if a soft golf ball is what you are looking for, this Callaway Supersoft golf ball is what you can buy. It’s true to its name- it is super soft! Apparently, it won’t disappoint you in case of durability as well. It is built with quality.
- The ball is the ultimate softball for those golfers who prefer soft golf balls!
- Even the cover is soft with is a tri-ionomer layer.
- It flies quite well in the air- for long, and with low drag.
- The core is built in a brilliant fashion.
- Although it’s soft, it still has a tough build.
- Great value for the money.
- The ball may be too soft for those with high swing speeds- they may find it not going very straight.
4. Bridgestone Golf Tour B XS Golf Balls.
Want a golf ball that will help you gain a good distance while providing you with good control around the green? Then, you shall now meet the Bridgestone Golf Tour B XS golf ball. In fact, it has such a build that provides you with the best of both worlds.
Firstly, the ball has a gradational core. This core helps the ball decrease side spin and also increase initial speed in air. As a result, it has a good trajectory and also covers quite a good distance.
Now, how do you get control over such a fast-moving golf ball? Apparently, the ball has SlipRes cover building it which gives it spin control and also increased friction. You will have a good time playing with this ball on the green.
Apart from that, it has dual dimples. This adds to the distance because of the lower drag it creates. The golf ball has each of its parts engineered just the way it should be to offers you both distance and control.
Now, when it comes to quality, you may feel dissatisfied at times. It may feel a bit too expensive for the quality it comes with. Also, it may not be the best choice for you, if you have a higher swing speed.
- The core gives it a longer flight time and also a lower side spin.
- You will be able to control it well around and on the green.
- With the spin being lower, you will be able to enjoy straighter shots easily.
- It gives a good click and feels when you hit it.
- Good trajectory.
- It may not have the best build quality as it may get scratched easily.
5. Mizuno RB Tour and Tour X Golf Balls.
Soft golf balls usually perform better around and on the green. Because they tend to sit where they land unless there is a slope. The Mizuno RB Tour and Tour X golf balls are such balls that offer you a good performance both in the air and on the ground. Apparently, this Mizuno golf ball comes with C-dimples for reduced drag. As a result, it can cover quite some distance for you. Furthermore, it has an overall soft build.
It has a 4 piece construction with a Urethane cover. This ball is very fun to play around the green. You will love the click you feel when you hit the ball. It helps you be very accurate in your short games.
Furthermore, the spin of this ball is low in the air but high around the green. This is quite a great combination when it comes to spins.
The not-so-great news about this golf ball is that it isn’t the most durable golf ball out there. After playing with it for a while you will notice that it looks rather battered. Apparently, the thin and soft cover is exactly what it is- thin and soft. So, it won’t hold up very well.
On the plus side, these golf balls are quite affordable and you can buy them again if you lose them. They do great as practice balls.
- The C-dimples provide it with low drag and helps it gain a good distance.
- It gives you great control around the green- you will definitely improve your short game with it.
- Very soft to the feel.
- An affordable set of golf balls.
- The spin of the ball is very well thought and engineered- it is just right for both the flight of the ball and the short game.
- It has a dual-core.
- It may not be very durable as the cover s quite thin and it looks battered after a few games.
Best Golf Ball for Mid Handicap: The Buying Guide
What should you look for in golf balls when you have such a handicap? Quite a lot of things actually.
The distance the ball may cover.
One of the greatest concerns of players of all handicaps is the distance the ball covers. It’s not the only dependant on your swing, strength, and swing speed. Yes, the ball design matters in this case.
What will help you gain more distance is a ball with a softcore. A softcore will make the ball lighter. As a result, it will experience less drag in air and you will get a better distance. The materials building the ball also play a role in the distance it covers. Apparently, lighter materials will give more distance.
The Spin of the Ball.
There are three kinds of spins- high, medium, and low spin. As someone with a mid handicap, the best spin for you will be a medium spin. Why? Because the spin of the golf ball reacts to how you hit it.
A golf ball with a higher spin will be more reactive to your swings. You make one small mistake and the ball will go quite far from where you intended it to go. On the other hand, a low spin will be more forgiving. It won’t react so much which is why it is better for beginners and for golf in cold weather.
A medium spin will provide you with a good level of control over the ball. If you hit it right, it will reward you really well. Again, if you hit it wrong, it will slightly go off track.
Other than that, side spin is best if it’s eliminated. Because you really do not want the ball to go to a completely different direction- much away from your target.
Therefore, for a mid-handicap golfer, a ball with a medium spin is the best option.
The Pattern on the golf ball.
If you have noticed (you must have), golf balls come with dimples and it is for good reason. The dimples help you go straight and give you more bite when you hit the ball. In fact, the dimples are often the reason, the short games feel so satisfying. You will also notice that the performance of the golf balls degrades with time and along with it the sharpness of the dimples also disappear.
You may not have to put extra focus on understanding how the pattern of the dimple of the gold ball will affect it. Most brands include it in the description of the golf ball- how the pattern will affect it. Just check if it suits your purpose and you shall get a great performance out of it.
The Outer Layer of the Golf Ball.
It is not just the core of the golf ball that matters. Apparently, the outer layer or the cover layer matters a lot as well. In fact, it’s best if the outer layer is thin and the inner layer is large. This gives the ball a softer feel.
A ball with a softer feel will give you a better performance on the green. This is because it won’t roll too far or bounce too much. However, since you are getting better and need some challenges to do even better, a ball that has a slightly harder layer may be the best choice. This way you will be able to calculate more when taking a swing and it will get ingrained in your brain- how your swing affects different kinds of golf balls.
The Durability of the Ball.
Just the right material, best design, best feel won’t really matter if you cannot even play the golf ball for long enough. You want the ball to be durable. If your power swing makes the ball break in half- it’s not really worth it, is it?
Furthermore, golf balls that get scratched easily will also show a decline in their performance. Therefore, look for the best quality golf balls, that are durable as well. Other than that, it’s best to look among the well-known brands because they are popular for a reason- either for their quality or the innovative designs.
The Visibility of the golf ball.
Don’t you feel frustrated beyond words can explain when you cannot find the golf ball you just hit? It happens and it mainly happens in long grasses. You can save yourself from some of the irritation by getting a ball that is easy to spot.
For this, many brands offer golf balls in various colors. The most visible colors are yellow, neon, orange, etc. Sometimes even the crows think of the balls as their eggs and fly away with it- they have a small brain, go easy on them.
The Cost of the Ball.
If you are looking for a ball that will give you better performance, it’s obvious that the ball will be a bit more expensive. This is what comes with an upgrade in the skill level and you have to bear with it, especially in golf. A higher price generally means a better deal with better quality.
However, all hope is not lost. Because brands are aware of this difficulty mid-handicap golfers face and they try and keep the price affordable for you all. So, you will find really good deals within your budget. The trick is to look hard enough.
Still not find the best one for you ….. Check out our Callaway Hex Tour Soft Golf Ball
Best Golf Ball for Mid-Handicap
Why should you look for new kinds of golf balls when you reach a certain handicap? What should you do if it costs more? Let’s look at the reasons why you should buy better gold balls.
- To Improve Your Game: At a certain level of golf, you will find that just improving your swing, speed, and accuracy is not enough to improve your game. No matter what you do, you seem stuck at the same level. In this case, you have to focus on what you are playing with- gloves, balls, clubs, etc. The golf balls play an important role at this point. You have to find a golf ball that is suitable for your level- that responds to your swings just the way it should.
- The Spin: better and more expensive golf balls have a lower spin. In fact, at a higher level of golf with a lower handicap, you need a ball with a low spin or medium spin. Or else, the ball won’t react to your improved control and swing. Therefore, with the wrong golf ball, you may end up adjusting to a lower skill level than your own.
- The Distance: There are actually golf balls engineered to give you a better distance. When all your competitors are so skilled, a greater distance will definitely give you an advantage and that is what you should focus on developing too. The better golf balls help you gain a greater distance.
Best Golf Ball for Mid Handicap: Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is a larger core better?
Answer: A larger core means a greater sweet spot. Therefore, even if the golfer does not hit the golf ball at the right spot, a larger core will be forgiving enough to not change the direction and distance of the ball entirely.
- How do the layers in the golf ball affect its performance?
Answer: Some golf balls have more layers in them than other golf balls. Apparently, the golf balls with more layers have a greater spin as well.
As you can see, each and every part of the golf ball plays a role in how it plays on the course, in the air, on the green. It’s not just how it’s made, what it is made of matters as well. Each of the golf balls from various brands will react differently to your swing. Therefore, you will have to consider each of the factors and choose one that feels comfortable for you. You also have to go out of your comfort zone to improve your game.